Junior I Have a Plan Day
We have several items for you to accomplish today. Today is meant to help you plan for next fall and beyond; please be honest with yourself and take your time. If you rush through and not think about the questions you are answering you are only hurting yourself.
The schedule for today:
- Mock Interview Schedule - On Thursday, March 8th we will be hosting a mock interview for all freshmen and juniors. Please take this opportunity to practice your application skills. This is a formal presentation and first impression of yourself upon future potential employers. Please click on they hyperlink and fill out the application.
- PSAT Results - I will walk you through the PSAT results and hand back your test booklets.
- ASVAB Results - Go to www.asvabprogram.com and click login. Enter the access code found on right side of your test results. This will show you your strengths, the more books you have piled the stronger that skill is. Under step 1 click on Take the FYI. Begin to do the assessment. Please write down your results on the paper provided. Once you have completed this you are welcome to look through the various occupations based on you FYI score and compare your strengths to the careers that are high in your FYI category. Please write down the top 3 careers you are considering right now.
- NO ASVAB - go here www.Plan your Adventure.net - If you did not take the ASVAB please go to www.planyouradventure.net. You will take the interest inventories here and investigate your careers. Please circle the strength you feel is best for yourself.
- AFTER ASVAB - Please record your findings from ASVAB on www.planyouradventure.net You will log in with your school Google account. You do not need to retake your inventories, if they have changed please change them based on your findings with ASVAB, save and continue. Please update your courses for your 4 year plan.
- Activities Resume - I have a few activities resume shared with me. Please update your personal resume. If you sit and brainstorm all the items you have been involved with now, it will make your life so much easier when you apply for scholarships and colleges. I will reshare any resumes I have. If you can't find yours, please recreate another one.
- When you need a letter of recommendation from teachers, Mr. Lahndorf or myself, it is appropriate to hand them a resume when you ask someone to write a good note for you. This will suffice.
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/16J0FD8wgR5TAQpiiw8LRZjrpCvLqx1uxPW0HmR2Eydo/edit?usp=sharing The hyperlink for a blank resume document.
- Iowa Return on College Reality Check - Do you want to be able to buy a BMW or a Honda Civic when you graduate? Do you want a 3 bedroom house or a studio apartment? Learn what an entry level person makes when you graduate from college and see if this is what you truly want out of life or do you want more? Click the hyperlink to travel here. http://www.iowastudentloan.org/smart-borrowing/return-on-college-investment/whats-your-roci.aspx
- Research your top colleges, figure out what it takes to get in, and make sure you are on track academically.
- SCHOLARSHIPS -there are a few scholarships out there designated for juniors if you are interested in signing up for scholarship search engines go here to do so. You may want to create another email account before doing so.https://sites.google.com/site/hlvschoolcounseling/home/scholarship-websites-recommended-by-ican
- Schedule College Visits - make sure you are comfortable where you are going so it is a better transition from high school and college.
- What else do you need? Register for ACTs? go here: http://www.actstudent.org/
- Compass test? - talk to Mrs. Robison
- Military? - talk to Mrs. Robison